July 20, 2011

Sourdough Starter - Day 5: Who's A Lovely Starter? Who?

Sourdough Starter - Day 5: Who's A Lovely Starter? Who?
7/20/2011 8:30am

This morning, George was all frothy and lovely on top, a pleasant slightly sour aroma emanating from his container. My husband, however, refused to sniff him! He had also risen quite a bit, so it looks like he should be ready to use in about 4 days.

At 8am, I removed 1 cup of  batter, froze it for future use - I'd like to get a white flour starter going form the discarded bits of rye starter. Fed him with 1 cup dark rye flour and 1 cup cold water.

At this point I'm not sure if I should feed him twice a day or just the one time. The River Cottage Bread Handbook doesn't mention more than one daily feeding, but Jeffery Hamalman in Bread does mention to feed twice as does Susan over at "Wild Yeast" in her fabulous sourdough tutorial.

I'll feed him once a day for now and watch the activity. If it slows down then I'll feed him twice a day.

He should be ripe enough to use on Day 9, barring anything terrible I do to him between now and then.

George's personal blog page.

No comments:

Post a Comment