July 16, 2011

Sourdough Starter - Day 1: Conception



While on a vacation two weeks ago, I discovered a copy of The River Cottage Bread Handbook by Daniel Stevens. It's an amazing book, very much like The Tassajara Bread Book both in it's informal approach to breadmaking, and with it's "hand holding" steps. The instructions on how to make and feed a sourdough starter seemed so simple that I thought even I could do it.

I have been wanting to make a sourdough starter for a while, but it seemed a bit complicated. Now I'm giving it a shot. I'll be documenting the life of the starter on the blog, and mirroring the posts on it's own page here.

Sourdough Starter - Day 1: Conception
7/16/2011 - 2pm EST

Step 1: Found a large container with a lid, big enough for the starter to double 4 times.

Step 2: Cleaned it.

Step 3: Mixed 1 cup whole grain flour (whole wheat, rye, spelt) with 1 cup warm water. I used dark rye flour and bottled water. Added more water to get a thick batter.

Step 4: Beat the batter for a few minutes (10 minutes in a stand mixer is optimal) - the more it's beaten, the more yeast spores get into the starter and the better it is.

Step 5: Put it into the large container and put the lid on top.

Step 6: Named starter "George", going on the theory of I can't kill what I named.

Step 7: Labelled the top of the container "Day 1: 7/16/11" so I can keep track of when I have to feed it.

Step 8: Put in a warm place in the kitchen where I can see it but it's out of the way.

This is as far as I have gotten. We'll see how it turns out..

UPDATE:

7/16/2011 4:35 pm
The first 3 bubbles appear! It's ALIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment