May 5, 2011

Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies with Chocolate Ganache

I took this outside in bright sunlight, I didn't think it would be this bright!
If you have never been to Sweet Pea's Kitchen blog, you're missing out and I urge you to go. GO NOW!, but come back.

She has the most amazing baked goods I have ever seen, I swear she is Martha Stewart in disguise.

This is just one of the recent things featured on her site.

I have to admit we found these *really* hot, except for my husband, who loves spicy things. Next time I would cut back the cayenne to either none or 1/8 tsp. We're wusses, what can I say?

And DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT!!!! let your children lick the bowl on this recipe! I had some of the batter and my lips burned for quite awhile. Again, I'm a wuss.

Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies with Chocolate Ganache
Sweet Pea's Kitchen Blog
makes 24 good sized brownies

For the Brownies:
1 1/4 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon ground cayenne (use less if you don't like heat!)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
12 tablespoons butter, cubed
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla

For the Ganache:
6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used 8 oz)
1/3 cup whole milk (I used 1/3 cup 2% milk and 1 1/2 tsp butter)

Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 13×9 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.

In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, salt, baking powder, cayenne, and cinnamon; Set aside.

Place chocolate and butter in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Microwave for 1 minute and stir. Continue to microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate has completely melted. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add sugar and mix on medium-high until combined. Reduce mixer to low speed and add 1 egg at a time and mix completely. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.

Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.

While brownies are cooling, heat semisweet chocolate and milk (with butter if using) in the microwave for 30 seconds then stir.

Continue to microwave in 15 second increments until smooth. Pour over brownies. Let chocolate gancahe set up completely before cutting.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your sweet words! I can promise you I am no Martha Stewart, but I am flattered! :D How much cayenne pepper did you use? I put 1/2 teaspoon in them and I agree that unless you like a LOT of heat I wouldn't put any more than 1/2 teaspoon in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used 1/2 tsp, but I think either I'm just really sensitive to it or it was very fresh.

    My kids refused to eat more than one piece, unusually for them, but we're not "spicy" people. I am gallantly finishing them up, someone has to do it, lol! I've shared some of the brownies with my friends, and heard only good things.

    Your site is one of the best I have come across anywhere on the net, so any kind words are justified!

    ReplyDelete