May 23, 2011

"Idiot Proof" One Bowl Yellow Cake

Okay, so I'm not Martha Stewart or Duff Goldman. :)
In honour of Victoria Day, it's a cake!

This is a recipe from one of my favourite books, Clueless In the Kitchen, by Evelyn Raab. It's a basic cookery book, written for the use of teenagers. I bought 5 copies of this book, one for each of my kids and one for myself. I gave the book to my daughters when they turned 12, and have the other two in storage for when my boys get older.

I love a good basic cookbook. What's the point of making Chili-Lime-Lobster Devilled Eggs if you can't even make a good basic devilled egg?

As I have pointed out in on the sidebar comments, I prefer basic food without all the complicated bits of stuff thrown in. I own two copies of The Joy of Cooking, the original and the redone version, and while that's okay for many things, Clueless In the Kitchen will tell you how to make a basic oatmeal cookie, or pie crust, or how to roast a chicken. There is a brownie recipe that is so easy and quick to make, I have hooked my kids' teachers on it. Recipe to come later on those.

"Idiot Proof" One Bowl Yellow Cake
By Evelyn Raab, Clueless In The Kitchen
one 9" two layer cake or one 9x13" single layer cake (1 1/4" high)

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk, heated to boiling
3 tbsp vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Grease two 8 or 9" round baking pans, line with wax paper. If making a 9x13" sheet pan, grease the pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the eggs for a few minutes, until foamy. Add the sugar and vanilla, and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Measure in the flour and baking powder, and beat just until combined. Finally, add the hot milk and vegetable oil, and beat until smooth.

Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans, and bake at 350° F for about 20 minutes, or until golden. If using a 9x13 pan, bake for 35 minutes.

Loosen the sides of the cakes by running a knife around the edge, then turn them over onto a rack-they should fall out of the pans. Peel off the waxed paper, and let cool completely before icing. Done.

Frost with your favourite frosting, homemade or can.

Notes:
This is a dense, poundcake like cake, perfect for toping with berries. In the book there is a chocolate version, I'll post that at a later date.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting both these "Idiot Proof"cakes, I too bought this book for my oldest son as he approached his teenage years, But now he lives independently of us far away and I miss his book (him as well, of course)!!
    It really is a great and humerous cook book for EVERYONE!!
    I do wish, however, that you also posted the recipes for the icing that is printed in the book; will wing that part, I guess!
    Thanks again, I was very happy to find both these recipes.

    Mary
    ps. Have you discovered the "Best Recipes Ever" on CBC TV afternoon and there is also a good website on cbc.ca; there are great family-friendly and easy everyday dishes. You might like to check it out, if you haven't already.Cheers and happy cooking!!

    ReplyDelete