August 6, 2012

Clinton St Bakery Scones


 Since a trip to Ottawa this past July, where we were lucky enough to stumble on a bakery called "The Scone Witch". While reviews on their service have been rough (we didn't have any problems), their scones are out of this world.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate the Currant Ginger scone I had, but it's set me off on a scone baking frenzy. This is the latest batch.



Clinton St Bakery Scones
Makes 6 (I doubled the recipe)

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar (I used 1/3 cup as I wanted them sweet, 2/3 cups in total as I doubled the recipe)
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS baking powder
1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
3 tsp turbinado sugar (raw, large crystal, sugar)

For Cranberry Scones:
2- 2 1/2 cups unthawed frozen cranberries (or fresh if you have them)

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. (Next time, I may raise it to 400F as I think they would come out a bit crispier on the outside)
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients, including berries if using, in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
  3. Add cream, and mix until moistened (I never understand that, so I mix until there are no dry bits).
  4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and gather together into a shaggy ball.
  5. Flatten into a circle 3/4" - 1" thick - if doubling the recipe, split the dough and do it one at a time.
  6. Directions say "Cut into 6 even triangles, Roughly form each into a circle." I used a 3" or 4" circle cookie cutter.
  7. Place on parchment papered cookie sheet(s).
  8. Top each with some turbinado sugar (I used more than 3 tsp on the scones, more like 1/3 cup).
  9. Bake for 18- 20 minutes, until golden brown and baked all the way through.
You can alter this by adding whatever you want, or just making plain scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment