September 8, 2011

Hungarian White Bread

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon

I've been away again form this blog for an extended period of time, and as before unintentionally. It seemed that this past summer everyone's health decided to take a bit of a turn, and I just didn't either feel like doing anything, or I made things that I have already posted. I did *gasp* BUY bread as I just wasn't up to making it.

Things seem to be better now, or at least we know what we're dealing with. So, on with the show.

This week I wanted to make a more flavourful loaf, as the last one I made my husband didn't like (I won't share THAT recipe with you). I chose a recipe from Allrecipes to use at it was just different. What makes it particularly "Hungarian" I have no idea, but it's delicious!

Hungarian White Bread
makes 1 large loaf

2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
1 3/4 cups warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 egg yolk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups all-purpose flour*

In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast and honey. Mix until frothy.

Whisk in egg yolk and eggs. Add honey and salt, whisking to combine.

Mix in flour, one cup at a time. Turn out onto a kneading surface and knead for 8 minutes. At any point add more flour if the dough is sticky, but add sparingly.

Knead until the dough is soft and elastic. Form dough into a ball and return to GREASED bowl. Cover and let rise for 60 to 90 minutes.

Form into a either a braid or a loaf and let rise for 50 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375F and bake for 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool.

* I used 6 1/2 cups and it was still sticky.

This and other delicious items can be found at Yeastspotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment